GREG PAK, JONATHAN COULTON, AND TAKESHI MIYAZAWA LAUNCH KICKSTARTER FOR “CODE MONKEY SAVE WORLD” GRAPHIC NOVEL
Internet Split In Half, Calf With Two Heads Born
Comics writer Greg Pak (“Planet Hulk,” “Batman/Superman,” “Magneto Testament”), internet superstar musician Jonathan Coulton, and artist Takeshi Miyazawa (“Runaways”) have joined forces to create a graphic novel that stars the much-loved monsters and super-villains from classic Coulton songs like “Code Monkey,” “Skullcrusher Mountain,” “The Future Soon,” and “Re: Your Brains.” The Kickstarter for the project launched Monday morning and can be reached via www.codemonkeycomix.com.
"Code Monkey Save World" follows Code Monkey, the put-upon coding monkey from the eponymous Coulton song, as he teams up with the seething, lovelorn super-villain from Coulton’s song "Skullcrusher Mountain." The unlikely duo fight robots, office worker zombies, and maybe even each other as they struggle to impress the amazing women for whom they fruitlessly long.
Other characters include office-worker-turned-action-heroine Matilde (the “you” to whom the song “Code Monkey” is sung), Laura the Robo Queen (from the song “The Future Soon”), Zombie Bob (from “Re: Your Brains”) and the heroic curler (from “Curl”).
“I’ve been living with these characters for a long time, so it’s exciting to see what kinds of connections and new ideas Greg can come up with,” says Coulton. “Moving them into this new medium gives them space to stretch out and become even more complex and interesting.”
The project was born last November after Pak joked on Twitter about writing a super-villain team-up comic based on Coulton’s characters. Coulton tweeted back “DO IT.” And so they did.
”What I love about this project is that it’s the crazy kind of thing that just had to happen, and because of Twitter and Kickstarter and the internets, it actually can,” says Pak. “Jonathan and I are both working here as independent creators who own our own work. So if he says yes and I say yes and then whoever wants to buy it says yes, this beautiful thing can actually happen.”
Takeshi Miyazawa (“Runaways”) will provide pencils and inks, Jessica Kholinne (“X-Treme X-Men”) will color, and Simon Bowland (“Incredible Hercules”) will letter.
"This thing has monkeys, robots and zombies. It hit the trifecta," says Miyazawa. "How could I say no?"
The plan is to produce a 60 page graphic novel that will be released digitally in four parts through Monkeybrain Comics and comiXology and then in a collected trade paperback form.
"We’re very excited to be working with Monkeybrain and comiXology," says Pak. "Monkeybrain has done an amazing job of getting fantastic, genuinely independent creator-owned comics out into the world and comiXology has developed a phenomenal app for viewing comics on digital devices."
Kickstarter backers will get each of the digital comics and the hard copy of the graphic novel during an exclusive window before the books are sold to general public. And there are multiple added bonuses possible for Kickstarter backers, including first dibs on a brand new song written and performed by Coulton.
Another standout reward is the limited edition Code Monkey figure, sculpted by the acclaimed comic artist Sean Chen from the Takeshi Miyazawa character design.
The Kickstarter launches Monday, April 15 and will conclude in 30 days. Visit www.codemonkeycomix.com to be taken to the Kickstarter page.
255 Notes/ Hide
- yourchildrenarenowgravy likes this
- ozjill likes this
- darkrokkuman likes this
- myalwayswonderanland likes this
- growhart likes this
- fakehouseresident reblogged this from timetravelleretc
- timetravelleretc reblogged this from inthecomix
- insomnia-dream reblogged this from inthecomix
- plumbobpunk reblogged this from inthecomix
- plumbobpunk likes this
- wrecktrospectiv reblogged this from inthecomix
- j-awsofdeth likes this
- mangakaq likes this
- tokoeka reblogged this from hodgman
- argentarachnids reblogged this from breebirdtheinsane
- d-hn likes this
- lexbiberx0-x0love likes this
- brand-ex likes this
- almostnormal-ish likes this
- cjango likes this
- megamanlegends2 reblogged this from splintercellconviction
- thistlebox likes this
- babycakes7026643 likes this
- jaefru reblogged this from hodgman
- sadrobotinabowlerhat reblogged this from hodgman
- onecarefulowner likes this
- heroami likes this
- danvilman likes this
- flufflogic reblogged this from hodgman and added:
- flufflogic likes this
- kt4q reblogged this from hodgman
- boxingmarco reblogged this from comicbookcovers
- boxingmarco likes this
- tyoissu reblogged this from comicbookcovers
- lyxke likes this
- hellodede likes this
- gizzard-of-the-gods likes this
- jakiiiro likes this
- nofightinggravity likes this
- strangesequitur likes this
- linnefaulk likes this
- tumbly-wumbly likes this
- tumbly-wumbly reblogged this from comicbookcovers
- margiegogo reblogged this from hodgman and added:
- bsimser likes this
- philanthropy-lite reblogged this from comicbookcovers
- kaiamar likes this
- thundergunkeck reblogged this from hodgman
- theskratchpadd likes this